Re: [whatwg] What's the element for a paragraph label?

From: Delfi Ramirez <delfin@segonquart.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 20:55:28 +0200
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Cc: whatwg@whatwg.org, brenton strine <whatwg@gmail.com>
Hi Brenson:

<_span_> works great, unfortunately, plese correct me if I am wrong,
semantics of this tag have been diminished ( see _schema.org_ for
interaction microdata literature, and doubts).

labeling, even being a common practice used by developers targeting some
modern devices in opur days,  it is not 'semantic' as you well mention,
and should be always nested as a child of the_ form_ tag.

To resolve your needs,  I,a s mentioned,  agreed _strong _will acomplish
them.

Best

---

Delfi Ramirez -- At Work

My digital signature [1]

0034 633 589231
 delfin@segonquart.net [2]

twitter: @delfinramirez [3]
 IRC: segonquart
 Skype: segonquart [4]

http://segonquart.net

http://delfiramirez.info
 [5]

On 2016-09-07 18:49, Domenic Denicola wrote:

> Hi Brenton, great to have you here.
>
> From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of brenton strine
>
>> Is there a semantic element that can be used in a situation like this? If so, I
>> propose adding "label" to the specification for that element.
>>
>> Then again, maybe this most appropriately a <span>.
>
> The question is largely about what you're trying to accomplish. What will be interpreting your HTML's semantics? I can think of a few options:
>
> - If this is part of a series of labeled paragraphs, perhaps you are looking for dl/dt/dd
> - A heading could indeed be appropriate in some cases
> - strong is probably most generally what you are looking for. Indeed, https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#the-strong-element uses it in the very first example ("Importance" and the "Example" paragraph after that).
> - If this is purely a stylistic label, span indeed makes sense.

Links:
------
[1] http://delfiramirez.info/public/dr_public_key.asc
[2] mail:%20delfin@segonquart.net