Re: [whatwg] What's the element for a paragraph label?

From: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:49:55 +0000
To: brenton strine <whatwg@gmail.com>, "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Hi Brenton, great to have you here.

From: whatwg [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of brenton strine

> Is there a semantic element that can be used in a situation like this? If so, I
> propose adding "label" to the specification for that element.
>
> Then again, maybe this most appropriately a <span>.

The question is largely about what you're trying to accomplish. What will be interpreting your HTML's semantics? I can think of a few options:

- If this is part of a series of labeled paragraphs, perhaps you are looking for dl/dt/dd
- A heading could indeed be appropriate in some cases
- strong is probably most generally what you are looking for. Indeed, https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#the-strong-element uses it in the very first example ("Importance" and the "Example" paragraph after that).
- If this is purely a stylistic label, span indeed makes sense.