Re: [whatwg] Persistent state for homescreen web apps (without reloading each time)

But what do end users or developers expect in terms of browser behavior in
this situation?

The history api (or saving state to indexedDB) aren't going to solve the
problem of reinitialization everytime the user switches back to a web app.
Users expect them to behave like a native app.

The early iPads were low powered devices and many app developers used to
ship content as  images because they couldn't render complex layouts
quickly, but newer tablets are far more powerful and can handle this.

Chrome handles this as users and developers expect, web apps get paged out
and require a reload depending on memory etc. Safari does it every single
time

This is a massive barrier against web apps competing against native apps.