Re: [whatwg] HTML6 proposal for single-page apps without Javascript

On 02.04.15 04:59, Bobby Mozumder wrote:

> The best experience should be on by default, and you need a built-in MVC framework in HTML for that to happen.

That's something you take for granted, but other people don't.
Apparently, people want to see the claim substantiated.

I understood that the motivation for your proposal is a shorter loading
time for content on webpages. Your proposal might be one way to achieve
this, but to me it's not obvious that we *need* a built-in MVC framework
in HTML to make content load quicker, or that it is the best way to do
it. Your proposal is a pretty huge, much encompassing thing for a very
particular problem.

Are you going to create a working demonstration/polyfill for your
proposal, so that people can try it, as has been suggested?

> On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:43 PM, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote: […]
>
>> Serious question: why? What benefit does it bring? That JS is bad is not a self-evident proposition.
>
> You’re asking people to learn Javascript, an MVC framework, and its associated templating system, to fix a basic user experience problem with the web.

Bobby, you are the one who suggests that people should learn an MVC
framework, aren't you?

Also, I think we have to remind ourselves that when you say "a basic
user experience problem with the web" you mean "long loading time". I
think naming the problem you're trying to solve is important so that
people can help solving it. Or else we're just talking about a concept
of yours and nobody really knows why anymore.

> I was talking with a Tumblr power user a couple of days ago about this and she confirmed that all Tumblr kids pretty much know the basics of HTML, somewhat fewer people know CSS, and nobody knows Javascript.  Tumblr maintains about 200 million sites.

Imagine you or someone else indeed made that polyfill some people asked
you to provide. Tumblr could easily include that script on every Tumblr
blog or make this a one-click option for authors, right?

So with that polyfill all authors of the 200 million Tumblr sites could
make use of your idea without knowing any JavaScript and before your
proposal has made it into HTML.

Sounds like making that polyfill would be a good idea, doesn't it? And
if it proofs useful indeed and more popular than alternatives, it could
be included in the HTML standard.

Martin