Re: [whatwg] questions on URL spec based on reviewing galimatias test results

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> 1) Is the following expected to produce a parse error:
>>
>> http://intertwingly.net/projects/pegurl/urltest-results/4b60e32190 ?
>>
>> My reading of https://url.spec.whatwg.org/#relative-path-state is that step
>> 3.1 indicates a parse error even though later step 1.5.1 replaces the non
>> URL code point with a colon.
>>
>> My proposed reference implementation does not indicate a parse error with
>> these inputs, but I could easily add it.
>
> Given the legacy aspect, probably should be an error.

Fixed:

https://github.com/rubys/url/commit/6789a5307ebd0e4aa05161c93038f2fc50011955

But it turns out that addressing that question opens up another
question.  In my implementation that fix caused a (recoverable) parse
error to be produced for another test case:

http://intertwingly.net/projects/pegurl/urltest-results/d674c14cbe

I'll note that galimatias doesn't produce a parse error in this case
(and, in fact, the state machine specified by the current URL Standard
goes down a completely different path for this case).

The question is: should this be a parse error?

- Sam Ruby