Re: [whatwg] New feature: better integration with browser find interface

From: Peter Kasting <pkasting@google.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:15:26 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Mitar <mmitar@gmail.com>
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > - telling UA that it should retry the search because content has been
> > changed/rendered/modified
> >
> > The last is important because for web application which dynamically
> > render the content, after search has already find matches on the page,
> > if content is changed, browsers do not retry the search. This is the
> > most evident with browsers which allow "highlight all" feature, like
> > Google Chrome.
>
> This is just a bug in the browsers.

If browsers had to retry open "find"s every time the page content changed,
then leaving one's find bar open could have very large negative performance
effects, even if the browser focused only on the modified pieces of the
page.  Is there an implementation idea I'm missing for how browsers could
fix this "bug" in a performant way?  Otherwise I can't see us doing what it
seems like you want.

PK