Re: [whatwg] URL: spec review - basic_parser

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> At the present time, all I can say is that the https://url.spec.whatwg.org/,
>> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/blob/master/url/, and
>> https://github.com/annevk/url are inconsistent.
>
> I recommend not looking at annevk/url.
>
>> To illustrate, try pasting http://f:b/c into:
>>
>>    http://www.lookout.net/test/url/url-liveview.html
>>
>> Relevant excerpt from that page:
>>
>>        var url = new URL(input, base);
>>        urlHref.textContent = url.href;
>>
>> And the results for http://f:b/c after applying urltestparser.js against
>> urltestdata.js is as follows:
>>
>> {"input":"http://f:b/c","base":"http://example.org/foo/bar","scheme
>> ":"","username":"","password":null,"host":"","port":"","path":"","query":"","fra
>> gment":"","href":"http://f:b/c","protocol":":","search":"","hash":""}
>
> That seems correct. You hit "b" in the port state and that will return
> failure (from memory, did not check).
>
> How does this not match the specification?

Here's my original statement:

"The expected results are an object that returns the original href, but
empty values for all other properties.  I don't see this behavior in the
spec: https://url.spec.whatwg.org/#url-parsing"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2014Oct/0159.html

If you could be so kind as to point out what I am missing, I would
appreciate it.

>> I'll look further into why the results provided by Opera and
>> https://rubygems.org/gems/addressable don't appear to match RFC 3491.
>
> Note that RFC 3491 is not a normative dependency for any of the algorithms.

RFC 3491 is a normative dependency for RFC 3490, Internationalizing
Domain Names in Applications (IDNA).

You said, "per IDNA those are ignored".

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2014Oct/0166.html

- Sam Ruby