Re: [whatwg] Notifications: making requestPermission() return a promise

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Peter Beverloo <beverloo@google.com> wrote:
>> One argument I came across for overloading requestPermission is the
>> following:
>>     Promise.all([ Notification.requestPermission(),
>> swRegistration.push.requestPermission() ]).then(...);
>>
>> Might be worth considering, it's relatively cheap to support and can be
>> implemented without breaking backwards compatibility.
>
> One minor risk with also returning a promise is that exceptions for
> incorrect invocation would no longer throw an exception, but instead
> reject the promise.
>
> Otherwise I would never expect this promise to be rejected as the user
> declining notifications is not exceptional.

On a distributed system, a network error isn't unusual either, but it
still makes sense to treat it as an exception because the
application's main codepath can't continue executing. Similarly, if a
permission the application expects isn't granted, the application has
to skip the rest of its main codepath, so it makes sense to treat that
as an exception too.

If Tab wants to avoid try/catch blocks around most of his code, he can
simply avoid using await for those promises, and transform their
values with .catch(), but exceptions are really the same thing as
«deal with rejections *later*, letting you execute a bunch of code on
the success path and only at the end saying "Oh, did something along
the line fail? Let me take care of that.".»