Re: [whatwg] Notifications: making requestPermission() return a promise

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wait, what?  Anytime you request something, not getting it is
>> exceptional.  Not sure how you can make an argument otherwise.
>
> I would not expect a synchronous version of this method (were it to
> exist) to have to use try/catch for anything other than invoking it
> with an argument such as "TEST", which is clearly wrong. That's why I
> don't think it's exceptional (e.g. warrants an exception/rejection).

And I wouldn't expect someone loading a FontFace synchronously to use
try/catch to deal with loading errors, either, because that's super
obnoxious.  Failure, though, is a standard rejection reason - it maps
to the use of "onerror" events.

Without it, the promise algebra functions become far less useful, and
you have to type-test the fulfillment value to see if it's actually
the value you want, or some sort of proxy that communicates failure.

~TJ