Re: [whatwg] PSA: Chrome ignoring autocomplete="off" for Autofill data

(Trimming for time and to avoid exploding the thread.  Others can respond
to the rest if they like.)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net> wrote:

> Punishing those who do it right because of the stupidity of the many,
> can't say I'm too thrilled about that.

Leaving it in is punishing every user of the Web.  This is just one of many
well-intentioned features that is failing in practice.

> No it's inherently correct for the use case as listeners tend to enter
> things like:
>

> "Could you play Gun's'Rose?"
> "Love you show, more rock please?"
> "Where are you guys sending from?"

(You said "would probably not request the same bunch of songs over and
over", and now you're replying as if you said something completely
different.)

> Is that what you want them to start doing?

If a bank or "security" site wishes to have input fields without
> autocomplete they can just use textarea.
> Are you going to enforce autocomplete="on" for textarea now?

I'm not worried about that at all.  When autocomplete doesn't happen,
people blame the browser (most people aren't web authors and don't know
this is the web page's fault).  When text entry is glitchy because the page
used a textarea or other ugly hacks, it's the web page that looks bad.
That's its own deterrant.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the site sets autocomplete=off could you disable the saving of new
> suggestions? One of the main use cases for turning off autocomplete is to
> disable the saving of sensitive or irrelevant information. If the user is
> filling in an address or cc num it's likely they have the opportunity to
> save that on other sites.

It wouldn't make sense for all sites to autocomplete credit cards, but only
50% to save them.

--
Glenn Maynard