Re: [whatwg] PSA: Chrome ignoring autocomplete="off" for Autofill data

On 2014-11-14 02:49, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net> wrote:
>
> I have one real live use case that would be affected by this.
>> http://player.gridstream.org/request/
>
> Unfortunately, even if a couple pages have a legitimate use for a feature,
> when countless thousands of pages abuse it, the feature needs to go.  The
> damage to people's day-to-day experience outweighs any benefits by orders
> of magnitude.

Punishing those who do it right because of the stupidity of the many,
can't say I'm too thrilled about that.

>> This radio song request uses autocomplete="off" for the music request
>> because a listener would probably not request the same bunch of songs over
>> and over.
>
> (The use case doesn't really matter to me--the abuse is too widespread--but
> this is wrong.  If I request a song today, requesting it again tomorrow or
> the next day is perfectly natural, especially if my request was never
> played.)

No it's inherently correct for the use case as listeners tend to enter
things like:

"Could you play Gun's'Rose?"
"Love you show, more rock please?"
"Where are you guys sending from?"

>>   Also, banks generally prefer to have autocomplete="off" for credit card
>> numbers, names, addresses etc. for security reasons. And that is now to be
>> ignored?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  My bank's preference is irrelevant.  It's my browser, not
> my bank's.  This is *exactly* the sort of misuse of this feature which
> makes it need to be removed.

Then provide a way for the user (aka me and you) to toggle autocomplete
for individual fields then.
That way I could toggle autocomplete off for the request field.

You wouldn't take away somebody's wheelchair without at least providing
them a chair would you? (yeah stupid metaphor, I know, it sounded better
in my head, really.)

>> Also the reason the name field also has autocomplete="off" is simple, if
>> somebody uses a public terminal then not having the name remembered is nice.
>>
> This is another perfect example of the confused misuse of this feature.
> You don't disable autocompletion because some people are on public
> terminals--by that logic, every form everywhere would always disable
> autocomplete.  This must be addressed on the terminal itself, in a
> consistent way, not by every site individually.  (Public terminals need to
> wipe the entire profile when a user leaves, since you also need cache,
> browser history, cookies, etc.)

Point taken.

What about https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Autocompletetype
Couldn't a type="chat" be added then?

That live example  above was just one.
What about web chat clients that use input type text? Do you really want
autocomplete forced on always for that?
If a user can't toggle autocomplete on/off per field as they want
themselves then a type must exist where autocomplete is off by default.

Is that too much to ask for? (as both a user and developer)

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/