Re: [whatwg] New approach to activities/intents

On 2014-11-10 10:35, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net> wrote:
>> A worthy goal would be to help developers de-clutter websites from all those
>> share icons we see today, so if this could be steered towards that it would
>> be great.
> That is what the proposal is doing. The share button would be part of
> the browser UI. Perhaps you misunderstood it?
>
> (However, it is unclear whether all domains are interested in such a migration.)

I must have miss-understood, I saw window.close() mentioned and I
thought this was a javascript API suggestion for yet another way to
sharing things.

I looked a bit close now and wonder if this is related in any way to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Archive/Sharing ?

Do you plan to go for a OpenShare route (modeled after OpenSearch) or
something simpler like I mentioned earlier?

If all a web author need to do is slap a rel="share" on a <a> tag or a
<link> tag in the head and then have it automatically appear/listed in a
browser Share UI for that page then that would be ideal in my oppinion.
Something like a OpenShare could build further on this hopefully, but
for wide adoption the simpler the better.
Also OpenSearch is for searching an entire site or parts of it, wile a
OpenShare would be just for one page or link so that would be overkill
and it would cause another HTTP request to occur which is a waste IMO.

I'm also curious if any browsers actually do something if multiple
rel="bookmark" exist in a page (head and body), are they taken into
account in the Bookmark UI at all? I certainly can not recall eve seeing
this happen.

A quick test in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE here with the following in
<head>:
<link href="http://example.com/test3" rel="bookmark" title="Test 3">
<link href="http://example.com/test4" rel="bookmark" title="Test 4">

And the following in <body>;
Here1</a>
Here2</a>

The result is the same, if I use the Browser UI bookmark then the head
links are ignored, and if I right link the body a link then I'm not
given a bookmark choice at all, just copy the url or save it.

If bookmark is so ignored perhaps it would be best to take bookmark (and
to some extent canonical) and roll that into a rel="share" standard
which is defined/tied to this activities/intent proposal?

Note! Firefox allows right clicking any URL and choosing to Bookmark it,
and IE does the same but it called Favorites there instead, in either
case I assume that rel=bookmark is ignored and the title is also ignored
as the "test0" link which does not specify rel bookmark is treated
identically to them. Opera and Chrome does not seem to allow right
clicking a URL and bookmark it. As I do not have Safari I have no idea
what it does in these cases.

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/