Re: [whatwg] Proposal: toDataURL “image/png” compression control

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:45:42 -0700
To: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> My point is, we need a proper litmus test for the "just do it in script"
> >> argument because, let's be honnest, a lot of new features being added to
> >> the Web platform could be scripted efficiently, and that does not
> >> necessarily make them bad features.
> >>

> > Which ones?
> >

> The examples I had in mind when I wrote that were Path2D

Crossing the JS boundary is still an issue so implementing this in pure JS
would be too slow.
Path2D is only there to minimize DOM calls.

> and HitRegions.

I agree that most of hit regions can be implemented using JS.
The reason for hit regions is a11y and people felt a feature that just does
accessibility, will end up unused or unimplemented.