Re: [whatwg] summary/details - proposal

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> avoiding unnecessary recourse to web component use is a reasonable and
> expected goal - built in vs bolt on accessibility is better. Having to use
> a web component to overcome the inability to make a html control usable
> without relying on CSS and Js and ARIA is unfortunate, and as you said
> yesterday

I still don't understand.  Do you think that what Hixie is saying
(about clicking on non-interactive text in <summary> toggling the
<details>) is wrong?

The behavior that Hixie describes is roughly what implementations do
today.  In Blink, clicking on any bare text in the <summary> toggles
the <details>, while clicking on an <input> does not.  However, Blink
current behavior with <label> is different - it basically ignores the
presence of the <label>, as far as I can tell, and still toggles the

I would strongly object to any suggestion that <summary> should only
toggle <details> when you click on the disclosure triangle, unless you
add some additional markup like <label>.  That would be terrible UI.

~TJ