Re: [whatwg] High-density canvases

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 01:20:21 -0700
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Stephen White <senorblanco@chromium.org>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a thread on www-style:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0144.html
> It's been in firefox for a while and blink is going to ship it soon:
>
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/RyUSi3zdumQ

devicePixelRatio has reflected page zoom in Firefox ever since we first
exposed it (because the thing it maps to internally has always been
affected by page zoom).

> > > Actually what I really think we should do is also change the
> > > window.devicePixelRatio for pinch zoom. Combined with the suggestions
> for
> > > canvas, that would allow (as Rik pointed out on IRC) for high-quality
> > > canvas all the way zoomed in, and for cheap canvases when zoomed out
>
> I believe pinch zoom should not change devicePixelRatio. It would be nice
> if there was a standard way to determine pinch zoom though and if the
> canvas could automatically resize.

Pinch-zoom is hard because we don't want to trigger reflows or other
expensive behavior on pinch-zoom. I'd leave pinch-zoom out of it for now.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*