Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:48:29 +0200
To: "WHAT Working Group" <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 01:35:00 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Rick Waldron wrote:
>>
>> Also, at the time, the surface click to play was non-standard and
>> incredibly annoying because it just "showed up" as someone's pet feature
>> in Firefox. (I'm still not sure if it's a "standard" feature, I can't
>> find anything in the spec about it, but I could've just missed it)
>
> It's not documented in the spec, but it seems reasonable.

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> I think you basically have to assume that if you specify "controls" then
>> the controls may accept clicks anywhere in the video element. There's
>> nothing in the spec to say that the controls must be restricted to a bar
>> of a certain height at the bottom of the element.
>
> True, but there _is_ something now that says that if the browser
> considers
> it the user interacting with a control, that there shouldn't be events
> sent to the page. It's either a control (no events), or an activation
> behaviour (click events, can be canceled by preventDefault()).

Saying that Firefox's "click anywhere to play" isn't a control but rather
activation behavior for the element makes sense. If other browsers want to
implement that behavior, it would be good if the spec called out this
difference.

> Should we make this an explicit activation behaviour for the <video>
> element if it has a controls="" attribute?

That might be good so that the behavior is consistent between browsers.
However, I think it should be conditional on whether the controls are
visible rather than whether the controls attribute is present.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software