Re: [whatwg] Should onfoo event handler properties be on Element or HTMLElement?

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 22:15:42 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 20:38:48 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On 10/8/13 9:49 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>>
>>> Gecko has "HTMLElement implements GlobalEventHandlers" in its IDL,[1]
>>> but somewhat surprisingly also "SVGElement implements
>>> GlobalEventHandlers".[2]
>>

>> Note that in Gecko SVG elements also have event handler content
>> attributes
>> and whatnot.
>>
>> What's your proposed handling of event handler content attributes?  And
>> note
>> that the handling of these is not quite identical for HTML and SVG last
>> checked.  :(
>
> Is there a spec for how the event handler content attributes (with
> reflection) work in SVG?

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/script.html#EventAttributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/script.html#EventAttributes

I don't see any IDL for event handlers in the SVG spec, so per spec there
should only be content attributes... And only those that are specified for
some elements, unlike HTML where most event handlers are available
everywhere.

> In any event I haven't intended any changes
> here, whatever is already implemented sounds good.

I'm not sure what should be done with SVG. Clearly the SVG spec doesn't
reflect the "we should do whatever HTML does" idea.

> If implementations
> disagree, then getting agreement and a spec for it seems orthogonal to
> which interface the IDL attributes sit on.

I think it would be bad to have an IDL attribute without a working content
attribute for a given element. That's just confusing.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software