Re: [whatwg] Should onfoo event handler properties be on Element or HTMLElement?

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Simon Pieters wrote:

> I think it would be bad to have an IDL attribute without a working
> content attribute for a given element. That's just confusing.

Yeah, that's the main reason I wouldn't put this on Element if it was up
to me. It seems weird to say to everyone around the world that we're
basically stomping on any content attribute starting with "on". It's one
thing to take "id", and even maybe ok to take "class" (though that starts
getting a bit iffy, it's easy to come up with examples where the attribute
"class" means something different than we do in HTML), but I'm sure
there's all kinds of vocabularies that have an "onclick" attribute with
_very_ different semantics than ours. For example, I'm sure there's many
XML-based UI languages that have onclick="" handlers but I doubt that
they all use JavaScript and I really doubt that they all have the crazy
semantics that HTML has:

   http://whatwg.org/html/#event-handler-content-attributes