Re: [whatwg] <iframe srcdoc> definition not compatible with existing user-agent user interfaces

On 4/5/13 1:15 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Are you asking to switch back to data urls instead of srcdoc, or are
> you asking for a way to generate an equivalent data url from the
> contents?

I don't have a proposed solution so far.  I just have a problem.  The
problem is that UAs that implement <iframe srcdoc> per spec end up with
broken UI.  Safari certainly does, and so will Firefox with the current
srcdoc patches.

Generating an equivalent data: URL may not be good enough as a solution,
because that would require teaching all sorts of extensions and other
code that assumes that loading a url will give you the data about this
special case.

Having the url of the document end up something like about:srcdoc?abcdef
where dereferencing it gives you the right data _may_ be a solution.

But again, I don't have a solution so far, just the spec as-is causing
obviously broken UAs.

-Boris