Re: [whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Tim Leverett <zzzzbov@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Explicit author markup would make such a task so much easier.
>
> Only if every author marked up their code correctly. If some authors use
> incorrect markup, then an algorithm would still be necessary for
> determining if each usage was correct.

Hope you're not just trolling.

>From a browser perspective, if there is one <main> element and it sits
within <body>, that would be sufficiently correct.

Whether it's semantically correct for a particular application, that's not
something the HTML spec should or could deal with. We don't protect people
from putting the wrong text in tags - not in microdata, not in <article> or
anywhere else. An application may care - or they may trust the author and
if the author cares enough, they will fix up their markup if it doesn't
achieve the right goal.

But I'm sure you were just trolling... ;-)

Cheers,
Silvia.