Re: [whatwg] Declarative web worker creation and communication?

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback.  The PUA 'shared context' will likely need to be a
distinct web worker variant to cater for any required restrictions and also to
ensure it does not entangle its specific requirements with other innovations
to web workers.  However the message API may be reusable, and trying to
avoid gratuitous differences seems a worthy goal.

Some concerns (lack of understanding) I have with the Web Worker spec. at:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/workers.html

"9.2.3 The worker's lifetime
... Otherwise, o is a Window object, and the relevant Document is just the Document that is the active document of the Window object o."

Does this mean that the Document object of the caller is made available to be web worker?  I can't see an interface to it?

"9.2.4 Processing model
5. A new script is now created, as follows.
Set the script's browsing context to owner browsing context.
Set the script's document to owner document."

There does not appear to be an API to actually effect the owner browsing context or document?
Is this just laying a foundation for future work?
Are web workers expected to someday be able to cause navigation of the creators browsing context etc?

"9.3 APIs available to workers
The DOM APIs (Node objects, Document objects, etc) are not available to workers in this version of this specification."

Are there plans to allow web workers access to the DOM of their creator?

Does this apply to documents created by the web worker, such as via XHR?

Looking at the source code for some implementations will help clarify the current state,
but it would also be of interest to know of planned web workers extensions?

cheers
Fred