[whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:02:37 -0700
On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Kaustubh Atrawalkar
<kaustubh at motorola.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Kaustubh Atrawalkar <
>> kaustubh at motorola.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My perspective would be absence of submit button (with either
>>> visibility:hidden OR display:none) would give user to create more enhanced
>>> pages that will allow implicit submission like just username & password hit
>>> enter and done and not having mandatory for Sign In button. (just a use
>>> case)
>>>

>> Authors can already do this by injecting script although I'd argue that
>> such an UI is not "enhanced" at all because users may not know pressing
>> enter result in form submission.
>>

> Yes, but author can just reduce his scripting by using default behavior
> provided by the browser engine. I agree that user may not know pressing
> enter results in general form submission, but in case of search he does.
> Just we can make it generic instead of just for one/two input elements.

I haven't seen a search engine that requires two text fields by default. And
implicit submission already works on all browsers when there is exactly one
text field.

The current Trident/WebKit behavior has a nice side-effect to (without
scripts) require a visible submit button to enable implicit form submission.

- Ryosuke