[whatwg] <device> use cases

From: Peter Beverloo <peter@lvp-media.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:31:29 +0100
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 14:26, J?rn Zaefferer
<joern.zaefferer at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Where did you "hear" that device was cancelled?
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 14:10, <jesperg at opera.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just heard that <device> was canceled and replaced by
> > navigator.getUserMedia()... Just wanted to point out a couple of use
> > cases that I was looking forward to, that seems to maybe have gotten a
> > bit lost on the way?
> >
> > I was really looking forward to start playing around with USB MIDI
> > interfaces to control my synth and maybe even do really creative stuff
> > the other way around. Just imagine being able to play on your synth
> > (or any other device with MIDI output) and generate sound or graphics
> > in a <canvas> web application or so!
> >
> > Or... be able to control other devices using serial connection. Maybe
> > do lirc-alike stuff, using your IR based remote to control Youtube or
> > other HTML5 <video> services, etc.
> >
> > Amazing new possibilities, that would be (almost) endless... :)

The following change was committed to the specification yesterday:
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=5944&to=5945

Most references to the <device> element have been removed as well, and
this section has been introduced:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/dnd.html#obtaining-local-multimedia-content

Regards,
Peter Beverloo