[whatwg] Image resize API proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 19:55:13 -0700

On May 20, 2010, at 6:24 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> I'd also love to hear from Mike Shaver and others from the original thread what they think of this API proposal.
>
> I think Shaver's feedback still applies: on any device with a GPU, we can optimize canvas and/or rendering enough that scaling images is no problem on the main thread. So this API would have a short useful lifetime ... possibly negative.
>
> Coming thread full circle, I now think there are good use cases for off-main-thread canvas, in particular with WebGL, but I guess that deserves its own thread again :-).

As far as I can tell, the proposed API doesn't enable resizing off the main thread. It is an API on HTMLImageElement so you can't call it from a worker. And it returns synchronously so the main thread has to block until the resize is done regardless. It returns a Blob, so I suppose it may be possible that the intent is to make a magical blob that's actually backed by a background thread asynchronous computation instead of data. That wasn't clear to me from the proposal. It would be a little weird.

Regards,
Maciej