[whatwg] Do we really need a <device> element?

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:33:30 +0000
On 6/12/10, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bjartur, real-time streaming audio uploads enable pronunciation
> assessment
> for language instruction during multiplayer online roleplaying games such
> as
> those by http://www.8dworld.com
Yes, applications may need audio/visual input, hence W3C's WG DAP has
created an API for accessing audiovisual "devices". As there's already a
standard for accessing such devices, what value does <device> add?
And why should this even be a HTML element in the first place, rather than
an (JS) API?
> input type=file accept="audio/x-speex;quality=(0-10);bitrate=..." is more
> important, and accept="audio/ogg video/x-webm, video/ogg" are all fairly
> important, too.
One non-native English writer to another: I peg your pardon?

P.S. sry for prev. post; gmail fkd up.