[whatwg] Event handlers - Pointer Devices

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:00:05 -0800
Hi All;

I'd like to know if there's room or any work has been done to set aside a
standard for an extended set of pointer-device events.

With touch screens and touch sensitivity becoming quite main-stream,
I'd like to see this popular functionality supported by the HTML 5 standard.

We see, in the iPhone, an ontouchstart and ongesturestart, and company.
Gesture is a nice way of saying multiple inputs, and it works well.

While many people would like to wrap the ontouch events into onmouse
events -- they do have some different semantics. And, I believe
that ontouch would be a good place to add in pressure sensitivity indexes.

So, I thought I'd solicit feedback here.

I'd like a common API to support touch screens
and pressure/angle sensitive touch devices.

I believe that both Apple and Wacom have thrown their hats into the
ring, and we can easily
integrate their achievements.

-Charles