[whatwg] framesets

On Oct 9, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Peter Brawley wrote:

> I'm arguing that framesets have been part of HTML4, developers used
> them in good faith, and removing them from HTML5 unfairly &
> arbitrarily imposes a Hobson's choice of keeping existing
> functionality while foregoing new HTML5 functionality, or re-
> architecting existing functionality in order to use new HTML5
> functionality.

No, there is not choice you have to make. Framesets will still work in
HTML5, they just won't allow you to validate. The page you cited, <http://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/mysqlquerytree.php
 > already doesn't validate against HTML 4.01 (you are missing a
doctype, and missing a title element), so I'm not sure why validation
should suddenly matter. There are no features in HTML5 that are being
withheld from pages which don't conform to the spec. There are no
switches that put the browser in HTML5 mode or anything like that; the
only switch is based on whether you have one of a few given doctypes,
which only affects whether you're put in quirks mode or in standards
mode.

-- Brian