[whatwg] framesets

Thomas,

 >Framesets, iframes, AJAX+innerHTML all allow this; you can't present
 >this as an argument for frameset or against their removal (though,
 >actually, I think you didn't, and the discussion just wen this road

Right, the point is that the use case specifies tree navigation to be
entirely independent of navigation to and from the page, that tree and
detail subwindows be independently scrollable & resizable, and that tree
nodes /not/ be externally linkable. The response that the client ought
not to want this is, well, beyond W3C's brief.

 >you could just use iframes too to the same effect,
 >except frame resizing, that would need some additional scripting; did
 >I adequately describe your argument here?)

I've been looking, but I've not seen an adequate iframe implementation
of this spec.

I'm arguing that framesets have been part of HTML4, developers used them
in good faith, and removing them from HTML5 unfairly & arbitrarily
imposes a Hobson's choice of keeping existing functionality while
foregoing new HTML5 functionality, or re-architecting existing
functionality in order to use new HTML5 functionality.

PB

-----