[whatwg] framesets

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 20:09:28 +0200
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Peter Brawley <pb at artfulsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> A design goal of this use case is to isolate individual framed items from
>>> URL back/forward/history.external linking. Analagous to watching a picture
>>> show where selecting N pictures does not commit you to hitting the Back
>>> button N times to get back out.
>>
>>Why shouldn't it?
>
> Because the use case demands otherwise.
>
>> It's how all other links work. Behavior should be consistent.
>
> These are not external links. You want these pages to make each item
> externally linkable. The client does not. The client wins this debate hands
> down.

Framesets, iframes, AJAX+innerHTML all allow this; you can't present
this as an argument for frameset or against their removal (though,
actually, I think you didn't, and the discussion just wen this road
while the use case you were showing is that clicking on a link in any
frame, that loads a new doc within this same frame doesn't have any
side effect on the other frames; for instance, you do not "lose" your
scroll position in the other frames, MSDN doesn't behave exactly the
same here; though you could just use iframes too to the same effect,
except frame resizing, that would need some additional scripting; did
I adequately describe your argument here?)

--
Thomas Broyer
/t?.ma.b?wa.je/