[whatwg] Validation

Am Montag, den 20.07.2009, 23:54 +0200 schrieb Pawe? Stradomski:
> W li?cie Eduard Pascual z dnia poniedzia?ek 20 lipca 2009:
> > Browsers are built incrementally. For example, IE10 is very likely to
> > render properly any page that IE9 had rendered properly (plus some
> > that IE9 couldn't handle). And IE9 will handle any page that IE8
> > handles (plus some that are too much for IE8), just like IE8 handles
> > any page that IE7 (in addition to those that use CSS2 features not
> > supported by IE7), and IE7 renders all the stuff that IE6 renders, and
> > so on...
> That would be nice if it was true. Have you seen the list of pages compatible
> with IE6 but not IE8 (eg here:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2072&tag=nl.e539)?

Caveat: This seems to be an IE issue, not an HTML issue. Why ? I checked
the top 8 and bottom 4 sites on that list using the W3C validator and
not a single one would validate. Quite a few generate hundreds of errors
and warnings.

Moral of the story ? Relying on quirks of a specific implementation is a
bad idea. To turn that into a "HTML needs version numbers" (to
accomodate exactly this behaviour) is more than a stretch.

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>