[whatwg] Validation

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Nils Dagsson
Moskopp<nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> Caveat: This seems to be an IE issue, not an HTML issue. Why ? I checked
> the top 8 and bottom 4 sites on that list using the W3C validator and
> not a single one would validate. Quite a few generate hundreds of errors
> and warnings.

The biggest IE6 compatibility problems lie in CSS, not HTML.  Authors
writing code for IE6 have to willfully violate the CSS standard to get
it to display correctly, e.g., because of IE6's completely broken box
model.  Adhering to standards doesn't help if some browsers you need
to support ignore the standards.

It's irrelevant to the proposal under discussion in any event.
Separate doctypes would do nothing to help here.