[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

From: Brenton Strine <Brenton.Strine@citrix.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:27:20 -0700
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Andy Lyttle <whatwg at phroggy.com> wrote:
[snip]
> 4) <label> (moving label textual content into <input> as placeholder text; currently with Javascript to mutate the DOM, in the > future with CSS to present the desired appearance while keeping the DOM stable)
>  Pro: Most semantic.
[snip]

That depends on what you are using it for. What if you are using it to apply a placeholder that says "(optional)"? That is not a label at all. There are a lot of uses for the proposed placeholder attribute that just don't fit into any of the other categories. I think a placeholder attribute would be great.

Brenton Strine