[whatwg] native styling for search input boxes

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 12:07:14 -0700

On Oct 2, 2008, at 1:14 AM, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> I hoped to see an example of an actual semantic improvement of
> introducing
> INPUT[type=SEARCH].  Maciej described a conceptual improvement for
> the ideal
> world; in the real world, the developers will have to use the
> heuristics
> anyway because there are search fields in the wild not marked as
> such and
> most of them will remain that way of course.  Please describe how the
> potential presence of INPUT[type=SEARCH] will improve the user
> experience
> (ignoring presentation) based on the assumption that the present
> heuristics
> will be used anyway.

According to the Chrome developer who spoke up here, Chrome currently
uses OpenSearch metadata. If many search fields used <input
type="search">, then user agents could identify them without the need
for OpenSearch metadata. I would imagine many smaller sites with a
site-scope search box would not have such metadata but could easily
adopt <input type="search">.

Regards,
Maciej