[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:47:34 +0100, Asbj?rn Ulsberg
<asbjorn at tigerstaden.no> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it has been discussed earlier, but after seeing Chris
> Wilson's talk on ?Browser Wars Episode II: Attack of the DOMs?[1] I think
> it's pretty obvious that Internet Explorer needs a new switch of some
> sort, to be allowed to implement and fix the DOM, JavaScript, CSS1-3 etc.
> without breaking backward compatibility. At least that's what Chris
> Wilson
> says.
>
> And I agree. Internet Explorer needs a new switch. So I thought, what
> about using:
>
>     <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> as the new switch?

This is a plain simple yet brilliant idea.

Other browsers can also use <!DOCTYPE html> as an indication to stop
applying certain hacks which make them diverge from standards in favor of
interoperability with IE.