[whatwg] Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:11:15 +0100, Kornel Lesinski <kornel at osiolki.net>
wrote:

> User-agent sniffing is a bad practice - it's inaccurate, hurts minority
> browsers and is not forward-compatible. Please change your method to use
> Accept header, so it won't be affecting any HTML-only user-agents (web
> is more than a handful of desktop browsers).  Accept method will even
> work for MSIE and Lynx when/if they start supporting XHTML.
>
> Even your regular expressions for User-Agent aren't doing exactly what
> you intended, because mod_rewrite does not anchor patterns.

While I totally agree that browser sniffing isn't a way to go, I must say
that Accept headers cannot be used to resolve this because MSIE claims to
support */* in the Accept header that it sends.