[whatwg] <video> element proposal

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:56:38 +0000
Elliotte Harold wrote:
> I'm just not sure that I see a strong enough use case here to justify
> the introduction of another element most browsers will not support for
> years if ever.

I think there's a strong driver for uptake. As I understand it, all
these video-sharing sites are paying mountains of cash to
Adobe/Macromedia for the backend software licences to support Flash
video streaming. If they could have 15 or 20% fewer servers doing that,
and stream to Firefox using Theora instead, the cost saving would be an
incentive for them to change their site. Particularly if we implemented
<video> in a way which gave them all the capabilities the flash player
has - e.g. fast forward, rewind, seek etc.

Of course, I don't know how those costs compare to the bandwidth bill.

Gerv