[whatwg] Allowed characters in attribute names (was: Re: Steps for finding one or two numbers in a string)

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:27:23 +0200
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:11:31 +0200, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why?
> Inconsistent maybe, but not incorrect.

Conformance checkers have to follow the parsing section. <embed
sm?rg?sbord="" src="foo"> is thus conforming. The #writing section is
strictly speaking not necessary, it is merely a reverse engineered version
of the parsing section taking the rest of the specification into account.
In this case, it seems it didn't take the "any attribute" rule for <embed>
into account.

> I'd rather change the #tokenisation section to generate more parse
> errors.

Why? What if you want to pass a paramater to a plugin with non-ASCII
characters using <embed>?

> Or maybe change the #creating section to drop such attributes, if we
> choose to follow the Safari/Opera/Firefox path.

Yeah, indeed.

--
Simon Pieters