[whatwg] Allowed characters in attribute names (was: Re: Steps for finding one or two numbers in a string)

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:26:48 +0200
2007/6/13, Simon Pieters:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:11:31 +0200, Thomas Broyer wrote:
>
> > I'd rather change the #tokenisation section to generate more parse
> > errors.
>
> Why? What if you want to pass a paramater to a plugin with non-ASCII
> characters using <embed>?

What would you do if you had to recode the document into 7bit ASCII?
Would you recode the attribute name with a "pseudo-entity" (would the
plugin then correctly interpret the parameter name?) Would you drop
the non-ASCII character? Would you rather drop the attribute?

Btw, we'd have a similar problem if you use non-ASCII characters in
CDATA elements... Should they be changed to RCDATA to accept entities?
or should the recoder assume that \uNNNN escapes will be understood by
the <script> or <style> parser/processor? if so, what should it do
with codepoints outside the Basic Multilingual Plane: should it use
\UNNNNNNNN escapes or a surrogate pair of \uNNNN escapes?

--
Thomas Broyer