[whatwg] Progressive rendering

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:19:49 +0600
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:57:41 +0600, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

>> TeX uses repeated passes over a long document to handle cross-
>> references properly using limited memory. It would be useful if
>> HTML allowed something like that.

> I see streaming bounded-memory operation and multiple passes as two
> totally different things. Making multiple passes on something stored
> on disk isn't streaming operation. It is more like an application-
> specific virtual memory. Even if it was bounded in terms of RAM, it
> isn't bounded in terms of disk.

The ability to process a document in a constant number of passes with limited memory is a weaker requirement than the ability to do it in just one pass, but it's nevertheless an advantage over having to hold the entire DOM in memory.

> Do you have specific real apps in mind?

Not really. I don't know how Prince works, but I suspect this is an issue for Prince.