[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:52:12 -0500
Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Scholarly books sometimes use both footnotes and endnotes for different
> things -- footnotes for citations and endnotes for tangential
> discussions, or vice versa. I've never seen an HTML document try to make
> this distinction, though.

Distinguishing footnotes and endnotes would require a multipage
document: footnotes go at the bottom of this page, endnotes at the
bottom of some other page.

Since HTML5 is primarily about single pages, I suggest calling any such
element footnote and not having a separate endnote element. This is a
good example of picking fewer over more semantics as discussed in
another thread.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!