[whatwg] [html5] DI element

Dean Edwards wrote:
>> Introducing this element affects the content model of DL. There are
>> multiple options possible. Either you could permit DI as well. You
>> could require it, or have a mixed content model where you only allow
>> the one or the other depending on your needs.
>
> Couldn't we just allow <li> in <dl> instead? Or have I missed something
> from a previous thread?

There was no previous thread. I guess allowing LI inside DL would be
possible. However, the content model of LI would change when it is
directly inside DL. (In XML Schema you can express such a thing, not
sure if it is possible using DTDs.)

You would get:

  DL
   LI
    DT
    DD

And certainly not

  DL
   LI
    %flow

... as LI is defined at the moment for when it is inside UL or OL.
Having a separate element would avoid the confusion and would probably
be better for legacy UAs as well. I haven't tested it yet but I assume
legacy UAs will do something with LI where they will not with DI.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>