[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> The more I look at the current spec, the better thought out it
> appears to be.

Heh. Thanks. :-)

My main problems with the current spec are that it is aethetically
unpleasing, IMHO. One of the things I don't like (sorry Matthew!) is the
whole sibling-<menulabel> thing. It just doesn't feel right. (Adding a
for="" attribute doesn't really save it either, IMHO.)

It just feels like there are too many ways that it could go wrong -- e.g.
the sibling isn't there, or whatever.

BTW the goal of reducing the markup isn't to reduce the bandwidth or the
size of the document or whatever. Bandwidth is cheap. Disk is cheap. The
idea is to make the whole thing look simpler and cleaner to the author,
and to make it easier to type.