[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:17:10 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> That's not a menu. It's a MENUBAR.

What's the difference?

I would argue that the following are all the same:

 * menubars
 * pull-down menus
 * drop-down menus
 * context menus
 * toolbars

They're just different presentations of the same underlying concept:
lists of commands or options.

  menu  n.  A list of available options.

This is why I think it makes sense to use one menu to describe all of
them.

Now, there is a small difference between context menus and the others in
the list above in that context menus are irrelevant until activated on
specific items, so we need a way to mark them. There's also a practical
difference between <menu> as implemented today and <menu> as we want it to
work (with natively implemented dynamic UI), so we need a way to mark
those too. This is why I was thinking of an attribute on <menu>.