[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:39:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > Q is for quoting something that is part of a paragraph. BLOCKQUOTE is
> > for quoting something that contains paragraphs.
>
> So BLOCKQUOTE doesn't fit inside a paragraph IMHO. So it also doesn't
> fit inside the model of structured inline-content.

There have been examples given in this thread of people blockquoting
multiple paragraphs half way through a sentence. For example, someone
might quote

   Many people feel that a minor typo in their document should not cause
   their page to stop rendering altogether. I have spoken with a _lot_ of
   authors who really do not like XML's draconian error handling,
   including many authors who are always ensuring their documents are
   valid.

   I myself have occasionally made typos and other mistakes that, if I had
   used XML, would have left my site unusable, without my knowledge, for
   several hours at a time.

...in the middle of a paragraph, just as this example here shows.

> > The whole spec is being worked on. :-) However, I don't really see
> > anything underdefined about the block-level, structured inline-level,
> > and strictly inline-level concepts. What conformance criteria are we
> > missing?
>
> It would be nice if the different type of element sections pointed back
> to the elements that are allowed in that section. Not just some
> examples, but making a list of them.

Oh, yes, I will be adding that once I know what the complete lists are.