[whatwg] Re: input element types

Jim Ley writes:
>> While certainly not as pleasant as a nice UI with a pretty clock, it is
>> still possible for users to enter the datetime format if their UA doesn't
>> support it and does not have JavaScript enable for the page to help them.
>> So it is backwards compatible, just not very pretty.
> Could you provide an example page using the datetime control Perhaps a
> copy of http://timetables.oag.com/man2/ in WF2, and how that will
> work.

I'd imagine the relevant markup would be:

<input type="date" name="preferred_date">
<select name="preferred_time">

Since the 'time' control on that page can contain pseudo-times like 'Any',
'Morning', and so on, a datetime control doesn't make sense here. I'd
imagine that they'd also retain their existing JavaScript for supporting
some non-WF2 UA's.

I do agree that it would probably be useful for the server to request that
the time should be interpreted as a local time (i.e., with no conversion).
For example, in the time entry application I use at work, if I say that I
started work at 'today, 9am', I do mean 9am local time, and not 9am UTC,
regardless of where I am physically located when I submit my entry.

Is that basically your only objection to the datetime type - that the
default is to assume that the server wants the time converted to UTC?

Regards,
Malcolm