[whatwg] Re: input element types

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:14:20 +0100
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:33:35 +0100, Malcolm Rowe <malcolm at farside.org.uk> wrote:
> I do agree that it would probably be useful for the server to request that
> the time should be interpreted as a local time (i.e., with no conversion).

I think it always should, I've yet to think of any use cases for the
user entering anything but "local time" (where the time comes from the
context of the question which may include UTC).

> Is that basically your only objection to the datetime type - that the
> default is to assume that the server wants the time converted to UTC?

Pretty much yeah, the degradeability of the format is also IMO
unfortunate, but that exists throughout the WF2 spec and is just a
general complaint, but for datetime the UTC specificness renders it
IMO completely unusable, as you've demonstrated above (It would still
be unusable if you didn't have the any/morning/afternoon/evening in
the above form too IMO, since you can ask for a flight leaving Beijing
or Oslo.)

Jim.