[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>2) The |ignore| attribute.
>>
>>The |ignore| attribute is an idea I came up with but haven't gotten any
>>replies on. A tag with this attribute set to "true" will not be rendered
>>and any associated scripting will not run. The same is true for all
>>children of the tag. As a result, the attribute turns its respective
>>element and all its children into something similar to a comment, except
>>that all the elements affected remain in the DOM. Changing this
>>attribute to "false" (the default value) will effectively "uncomment"
>>the element and all its children.
>
> How is this different from a comment, then?

    You explained this very difference to me once. Comments may not
exist in the DOM for XHTML-compliant UAs. "Ignore", it both forms,
provides a way of commenting out code while still keeping it in the DOM
for XHTML.

> The only use it seems it could have would be to hide content from certain
> UAs (which UAs, it doesn't say). Since there is no link between this
> attribute and other features, it is unclear how it would be used.

    Why does it need a link between it and other attributes? You use it
on contents that you want ignored. Simple.