[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:53:09 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> > So why not use OBJECT?  It would get around the abusiveness (which I
> > have some sympathies with)
>
> I fail to see how <object> would make sense here. Could you expand on your
> proposal?

<object name="combo" classid="urn:web-forms2-combobox">
  <label> or select from the list:</label>
  <select name="combo">
    <option>Item 1</option>
    <option>Item 2</option>
    <option>Item 3</option>
  </select>
</object>

So all that is necessary is defining the few self known classid's for
the different new elements, remember OBJECTs are already part of form
submissions in HTML 4.01.

> But in this case, we are talking about making legacy UAs _show_ the
> contents. So why would this be relevant?

Just in general, it's not a good idea to have wildy different DOM
heirachies in different UA's, it makes scripting much more complicated
for example.

Jim.