[whatwg] data: scheme in form submission

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:

> I don't at all understand the use of the "data:" scheme used as action
> as described i section 5.6.2.
>
> Maybe a more realistic example would help?

There is no use case, the section is merely defining what it does if it is
used, instead of leaving it undefined. I tried to cover all the protocols
that UAs commonly support these days.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:

> It might be a way to let a script get access to and process a form
> submission without it actually being submitted but if this is a use case
> the spec may have to say explicitly that JavaScripts should be able to
> access data: URIs created by the JavaScript's own origin page, or
> something to that effect. Some browsers might be "too secure" for such a
> use case and deny the script access to the data: address because the
> protocols are different.

Good point, I'll make a note of that and see if it makes sense to mention
the same-origin policy for data: URIs in the Web Apps spec somewhere.