[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

Matthew Thomas wrote:
> On 21 Aug, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>    Oh! I just had an interesting thought:
>>
>> <label>
 >> </label>
>>
>>    This takes a little bit of the flexibility with regards to the
>> presentation away from the vendor, though...
>
> It also wouldn't work for languages such as Japanese or Chinese, where
> entering a single kanji requires multiple keypresses. Interfaces in
> such languages use Latin-1 accesskeys (otherwise the accesskeys would
> be too slow to use at all), and GUIs typically present the accesskey in
> brackets next to the native-language label.
> <http://www.rsch.tuis.ac.jp/~sekiguch/seminar/chinese/project/1998/
> saru/excel/use3.html>

    It was just a thought, and it was intended to supplement the
functionality of |accesskey|, not replace it.

    That does give me an idea for my change to the specification of
access keys, though:

"User agents must render the value of an access key. Access keys should
be rendered in such a way as to emphasize its role and to distinguish it
from other characters (e.g., by underlining it). For languages where
access keys are not characters in the user's native language, the access
key may be rendered in brackets or parentheses before or after the label
associated with a control."